Newmarket Public Library is committed to protecting the privacy of our members and all patrons who visit NPL or this website.
We are governed by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Public Libraries Act.
Information is collected under the authority of the Public Libraries Act for the administration of library operations.
- We do not automatically gather any personal information from you, such as your name, phone number, e-mail or address. This information is only obtained if you supply it voluntarily, usually through registering as a library member or contacting us via e-mail or our website.
- Personal information collected for library membership is used to record who has borrowed library materials, to contact members for overdue items and fines, and to inform members about items that have been put on hold for them. Membership at the Newmarket Public Libary includes membership in the York Public Libraries Network (YPLN) and we will only share your personal information with the member libraries (Aurora, Markham, Richmond Hill, and Vaughan) for similar purposes.
- You have a right to request access to your personal information at any time and it is also available for your review on our website through your account login. For your protection personal identification numbers (PIN) and and staff logon procedures secure your information.
- We use software that receives and records the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer that has contacted our website, and/or accessed our online databases. We make no attempt to link these addresses with the identity of individuals visiting our website.
- Visitor information (virtual and in person) and material use is recorded for statistical purposes only and/or to comply with reporting requirements under the guidelines of the Ministry of Culture, Ontario.
- We do not regularly use "cookies" to track how our visitors use the web site. Whenever we enable "cookies" to facilitate your transactions, we will first inform you.
- All customer e-commerce transactions to this web site are safeguarded using secure socket layer (SSL) 128bit encryption
- No customer information or credit card personal account numbers (PAN) are collected or shared.
- All transactions are one-time based and PAN numbers are sent directly to the appropriate credit card company during processing.
- Customers can also choose to also pay for fines or programs in-person at the library.
If you have any further questions on privacy please direct them to the Chief Executive Officer of the Library.